Thursday, December 9, 2010

One blog- 2 projects

    Well, I'm going to be completely honest. I have no clue what to write about and what random story I should start rambling about because I don't have one.  I can't even think of some cool story to make up.  Therefore, I am going to plainly explain how, where, and why I took these photos the way I did and what I did.  This week my goal was to try and take some more on point (close up pictures) and try to put my focus on the editing part of the photos.
     It started out as a standard day, sitting in the commons with my life sports class waiting to go play some "exhilarating".. caugh caugh..  "extreme" sports.  While waiting and during the sport activity, I wanted to expand my skills in photography, therefore, I put a lot of energy and focus into these photos.  In saying that, I also wanted to put a lot of emphasis on the editing, to create a blog that will "blow the classical music out of your butt."
     Anyways, lets get down to the editing part which I will post below each picture: (see below). Besides the first few shots, this week I was trying to work on closer up pictures and fixing any major blemishes in photo shop.  I think I did alright on some of them, but I definitely could learn more in photoshop in ways to make peoples faces more clean and appealing.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated on any of the photos more specifically part 2 photos. 
  • exhilarate verb: make (someone) feel very happy, animated, or elated 

    Shutter Speed: 1/125
    Aperture: 5.6
    ISO:200
    I bumped the contrast up a little on this. Obviously desaturated it and then cropped a little bit off the top.  I  like this shot but is seems to get a little busy on the upper part of the photo but besides that I like it. 

    Shutter Speed: 1/25
    Aperture: 5.6
    ISO:200
    This photo I shot blurry and then turned down the exposure in photoshop to get a different water paint affect.  The photo below is shot the same also.  There was a little sunset when I took this one,  and thats how the orange middle strip came about.  I like this photo a lot because its just different and it's cool how the three different colors the blue, the black, and light orange all run together like a water color painting. 


    Shutter Speed: 1/25  
                                                                  Aperture: 5.6
                                                                  ISO: 200

V-Fusion, the drink my friend has every morning in life sports.  A simple, self explanatory picture.  This picture was taken to simply glorify the existence of V8 "The drink that keeps me going, almost as good as a man soda" -Sam Pickens
I desaturated this photo a little, bumped the clarity all the way up, and then turned the contrast up a little to make the picture a little darker.  

Shutter Speed: 1/80 
Aperture:  4.5
ISO:400
                                 
Ok, so I touched up sam's face in photoshop quite a bit.  I used the spot healer to touch up any little blemish marks and then I did a little clone stamping in some areas.  After that, I used the magnetic lasso tool around his eyes to brighten and make his eyes a little more clear.  Next, I got my paint brush tool and lowered the opacity to about 6.  With the paint brush, I sampled a brighter part of his face and just went over his whole face making it smoother and brighter at the same time.  I also turned the clarity almost all the way up and then the contrast a little up to darken the left and right side more than it was so more of the focus would be kept on his face.
Shutter Speed: 1/30
Aperture: 5.6
ISO: 800
Shutter Speed: 1/30
Aperture: 5.6
ISO: 800
     This week was my first time ever shooting in a studio with strobes, with a little help setting up the lights (ok i'll be honest... a lot of help setting up the lights and getting everything right) I got some descent pictures.  This was a treat and different than the usual snapping of photos of people's faces, continually having their facial expressions look like satan, from all the shadows.  Strobes are literally miracle workers sent by good to bring more joy into people's facial expressions and light up their worlds.  Anyways, I enjoyed doing this cause it was something different than what I've been doing.  I think eventually, I would be down to use some strobes in shooting snowboarding down the road.

Part 2
Typical shot of Essex: Attempting to be gangster.  Actually attempting is the wrong word, succeeding would be better.  Tall tees for life. . . actually I sound insane, I need to be medicated.  Yeah im just messin' though, not really into the tall tees but whatever floats your ego.   By all means though, my friend Essex can pull them off.  Anyways, I bumped the clarity up on this and a little bit of the contrast, obviously desaturated the photo, and then I just touched up the face with a spot healer and clone stamp.  Then after that I brightened up his face on the right (the side the smaller strobe was on) with the paint brush.  I also smoothed out some of the wrinkles under his eyes and brightened up his eyes a little with the lasso tool.
Shutter Speed: 1/125
Aperture: 4.0
ISO: 200
The same thing was done to this picture and the next one, editing wise.
Shutter Speed: 1/125
Aperture: 4.0
ISO:200

Shutter Speed: 1/125
Aperture: 5.6
ISO:200

I'd say part 2 of my photos I got my inspiration from Essex Prescott and Stephen Sturges because they are pretty good at taking portrait pictures.  If you feel inclined to check out their blog (don't know why you would.. ha just messin) do so fast because they are officially retiring. 



Thats a wrap ladies and gents. see you next week if God permits. Later








1 comment:

  1. First suggestion, make sure to spell cough correctly.

    The first photo I really like. It is a photo all about line, one of the elements of design in photography. Line can be very important in a photo, and this image has quite a few strong lines.

    The next out of focus images I like as well. Not something to do all the time unless you have good reason for it. These though have nice form and shape in them.

    V8 can, for a straight photo it works but doesn't do an whole lot for me.
    Out of focus portrait..... meh.

    Portraits- watch your exposure from the lights. Looking a little hot from the main light. Good go for the first attempt. Keep working in there, get better with them

    ReplyDelete