Monday, January 24, 2011

Abandon & Abort that situation- 1/21/11

     This week, for the first time, I actually drove around a little bit to try and find some zones to shoot.  Yes, you might say that that is a waist of gas just to drive around and take pictures.  I thought the same thing when friends told me they would drive around, looking for zones to shoot.  The truth is, it actually is pretty healthy I would say and helps me personally.  It gives you an opportunity to get away from all the quick pace, stressful situations of the world. It gives you a chance to relax and take your mind off all the unimportant things you think about in this world.  Anyways, when I first started driving around,  I was unsuccessful, but then I came to this old house (which seemed to be abandoned) with this old looking tree in front of it.  I started shooting it, and realized that some of these photos were turning out better than I thought. These photos of the tree in front of the house represent death to me for some reason. I'll try and explain why I think that below each of the photos below.  All the pictures from this week seemed to look better either desaturated all the way or the colors toned down by turning down the vibrance some. Well, that's a wrap for this week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. God Bless!  

I like this photo a lot.  When I look at this photo, it makes me think of  death for some reason or something in the process of dying.  The tree itself is old and is not in a healthy state; its journey is about to seize.  It has no leaves,  it's old and grey, and it's the only tree of its kind left in that area.  Not only is the tree dying in this picture, but the building behind it is abandoned and shows no sign of life.  It is lifeless to say the least.  In seeing that in this picture, I wanted to make the picture a more darker feeling. Therefore, I bumped the contrast all the way up, turned the exposure down a hair,  obviously desaturated it, and bumped the vignetting up quite a bit. 
ISO: 200 SS: 1/250 F: 3.5
I like how the lightness of the fence starts out lighter on the right and slowly progresses to getting darker and out of focus.  The fence leads my eye to the dark (out of focus) window.  No life is evident, through the window, in the building.  This picture almost portrays a sense of imprisonment and being trapped.  Editing wise, I turned down the vibrance a little just to tone down the bright tan wall some. I bumped the contrast up some, put some vignetting in there, and turned the clarity up a little.  I also turned  the temperature more to the bluer side to get a colder/darker feeling.
ISO: 200 SS: 1/640 F: 5.6
This photo is very similar to the picture above, except instead of having the fence in focus, I made the window the main focus of the picture.  I was trying to get a little reflection off the window.  It worked alright, but not as good as I thought it would.  I still like the picture a lot though.  The fence leads you right to the somewhat reflected window.  In this photo, I turned the contrast up a little, as well as clarity, desaturated it all the way, and put a little vignetting in on the corners.
ISO: 200 SS: 1/250 F: 5.6

This is probably my favorite photo out of all of these.  I like it because there is a curiosity to the photo. The question is.. what's behind the door?  With the dark reflection of the tree in the mirrored window of the door, it leaves a mysterious side to the photo also. A dark eerie feeling, uncertain of what could happen, or what's behind the door. Go through the overhanging branches to the unknown door. I like the unclear side of this photo.  For editing, I tried to just enhance the "unknowing, mystical" side of the photo, therefore, I desaturated it, bumped the contrast up all the way, maybe the clarity a little also, and turned the exposure down a hair.  I also darkened the edges by vignetting a little.
ISO: 200 SS:1/200 F: 5.6

ISO: 200 SS: 1/400 F: 5.0

Well. . . I think this is self explanatory what this is.  But, if there is uncertainty, this would be some kind of poop.  I figured I could get a good depth of field, detailed picture by shooting this, so I went for it. In editing this, I bumped the contrast a little and then turned the clarity up almost all the way to enhance the detail in the poop.  I know, I know that sounds stupid.. as I'm writing this I start to realize that. Anyways, I also turned the temperature up a little to get a warmer brighter feel to the photo. 
ISO: 200 SS: 1/500 F: 5.6

Ok,  so the reflection is not off the water but that is actually ice.  I thought this turned out pretty good.  It's a little distracting in the background but it still turned out alright. For editing, bumped contrast a hair, turned down the exposure a little, and I also cloned stamped some of the background of this photo. 
ISO: 200 SS: 1/160 F: 5.0
The only thing different with this photo is that the vibrance got turned down quite  a bit and the contrast was bumped more than the photo above. I think I like how this one turned out a little better. 
ISO: 800 SS: 1/500 F: 5.0

ISO: 200 SS: 1/60 F: 5.0

I got my inspiration from Tim Simmons.  My photos don't totally reflect his work, but I did like some of the pictures he shot of trees. They were unique and something different. Pretty Cool



1 comment: