Friday, October 8, 2010

I rode this llama once. . .

       One dark, eerie evening a group of my friends and I were walking along this road and we came across this senile farm. Anyways, we saw some animals in the farm consisting of some sheep, ground squirrels, and llamas. We were like, "wow thats cool.. we should totally go and try and ride one of those llamas." About 5 minutes later, we jumped inside the fence and were chasing after these llamas.  The llamas got away from all my friends but I happened to corner one.  I crept up close to it and jumped on its back and it just took off.  I managed to hold on for like 40 feet before I got tossed off. It was a great experience and I recommend to everyone to at least try it once in your life. 
      
       The whole theme I wanted to have in shooting the farm and llamas was to get a kind of polaroid effect.  I was trying to get them to turn out a little over exposed and make them have a raw film look.  Some turned out better than others.  All the farm ones, I shot with the ISO at 1600 to get more of a noisy unclear look.  I also had the shutter speed at like 1/100 or less to get the picture turning out a little over exposed.  For the most part, I didn't bother much with the aperture and just left it at 5.6.  Wherever the sun was coming into the frame was where it was usually over exposed. The different color lens flare also added to some of the pictures.  On some of them I changed the hue a little bit to give the picture a little bit of red in them.  Overall I think they turned out alright and I really like the effect on the pictures from shooting with the ISO higher. I'll probably start shooting more photos with the ISO higher from now on.  


llamadomesticated pack animal of the camel family found in the Andes, valued for its soft woolly fleece.
• the wool of the llama.• cloth made from such wool.




By all means, I don't support any habits that could be obtained from this picture of Mikes Hard Lemonade




                         




     Ok, this next set of photos were taken at honeysuckle beach (besides the first one & last three).  Our Life Sports class was learning how to fly fish this past week so I figured I would bust out the camera why I was there.  There was some early morning fog over the lake that made the pictures turn out pretty good.  The fog and water reflection made it really white and bright out so I had to shoot with my shutter speed at 1/320 or else it was over exposed.  I left my aperture at 5.6.  For these, I wanted a clear picture so I kept the ISO at 200. On the editing side, I just bumped the clarity up on a lot of them and a little contrast and then desaturated some of them.  I figured you can always get your pictures into a bad situation if you try and "Church it up" to much in editing. Therefore, I just kept the editing pretty simple on these. 



                                                     













2 comments:

  1. I like how there are 2 parts to this project.
    The first set of your images are really awesome, Corey. I really enjoy how they have kind of an old film look to them. Really great images too, it's not just the concept that they look old, the things you shot appear that way too.
    I really like your landscape pictures on the second half of your post. You have a really clean and crisp style, and it's great. You're really great at this editing, photography thing, and I'm proud of you.
    Keep up the great work.
    -Sadii

    ReplyDelete
  2. For your link, please give warning if parts are NSFW. The photos certainly fit what you are going for, although a warning would be nice for all.

    The first part of your post- the color photos work much better over the black and white images. Something I just thought of that you might enjoy doing- making your camera a pinhole camera.
    http://www.camerahacker.com/EOS_Pin-Hole_Lens/index.shtml

    You really want to go for the old look, this is a great way to do it. Something else that you could try is making your own tilt/shift lens.
    http://www.creativepro.com/article/build-a-tilt-shift-camera-lens-peanuts

    The fishing photos- the image of the one person really has a feeling of isolation. Crop off the group of floaties on the left, getting the subject off to the left some more would really help out this image.
    Love the frog shots, great job getting down low and getting the different angle on the frog.

    ReplyDelete